Monday, July 9, 2007

All Hail Spider Jerusalem, President of My Attack Ovaries

A Brief Look At ElleVee's Week:

  • Distribute roughly 1,000 books throughout the office.
  • Check the contact information for over 600 independent bookstores
  • Read 175-page manuscript and write reader's report
  • Read and edit 251-page manuscript and write reader's report
  • Handle slush (need I say more?)
  • Have meeting with president of imprint to discuss Dean Koontz project
  • Write flap copy for children's book (and edit it)
  • Attend meeting on OTHER manuscript to determine if it goes to publishers.
  • Have ANOTHER meeting with president of imprint to determine whether or not to purchase entirely different manuscript, which I just finished commenting on.

People keep giving me manuscripts to read. Which is a nice change from reading slush (one being written by published or soon-to-be-published authors, the other being written by the same people who flash you on the subway). But it's a lot of pressure.

I have decided that this is punishment for last week. The Gods of Publishing saw me sitting at my desk, whining about slush, playing around on LibraryThing.com and Amazon.com, and judged me unworthy. I have sinned, and this is my penance. Stupid Gods of Publishing.

I'll keep you updated on these projects as they occur. All I can say so far is that nobody needs to worry about Barnes & Noble or Borders taking over the bookstore market. In fact, maybe they should buy a few more bookstores. CRUSH THE LITTLE GUY! CONFORM!

I can't decide if I should go to the Strand today or not. Because, you know, I have so much free time. So, so much free time.

In other news, Warren Ellis is now the God of My Brain. Hurrah to him, and may he be a benevolent god.

For some reason the evil 'Title' part of this page is not obeying me, so here is the title I intended for this post:

"All Hail Spider Jerusalem, President of My Attack Ovaries."

Yeah. Think about it. DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND?! Read Transmetropolitan, and all will make sense. In your ENTIRE LIFE. I need to go home.



EDIT: Now the title is where it belongs. The world is where it should be. Sort of.

0 comments:

Post a Comment