Monday, August 18, 2008

Every Creature Was Stirring, Even The Hyperactive Dog

The house is atwitter as we prepare for my relatives to arrive. My aunt and uncle, and their two kids, are coming in from England for the first time in a year. I haven't seen them in four years. Then my grandmother, and possibly her boyfriend, are going to be coming as well.

My mother is stressed to the extreme. We now have enough vegetarian food to survive a short nuclear winter. The house has been cleaned several times. Everyone has been lectured to be on their best behavior.

Went to the library, where I had the following conversation:
[LV goes to desk, and gives Librarian her last name]
Librarian: Can I ask where you got your name?
LV: Um... from my Dad.
Librarian: It's very unusual, is all.
LV: Really? I know a lot of people with my name. It's actually kind of annoying.
Librarian: I meant for girls.
LV: What?
Librarian: I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I've just never met a girl named Richard before.
LV... WHAT?
Librarian: Also, you owe $3.75.

Eventually we worked out that A] My name was in fact not Richard, and B] That I owed no money whatsoever. She was very embarrassed. I was mostly amused. Anyway, I got my new books, and returned those I had finished.

New Library Books
* Strange Doings - R.A. Lafferty
* Cold Hand In Mine - Robert Aickman
* Arkham Asylum - Grant Morrison

But first I have to finish my two other library books. And that damnable Twilight keeps calling to me temptingly from the bedside table, beckoning me with promises of teenage lust and vampires and easy, enjoyable summer reading.

Most of the day was about preparing the house and grocery shopping, and calming my mother's frayed nerves.

I should be writing, but I don't really feel like it. Which is bad. Must keep up the enthusiasm. It's almost done, Elle. I keep telling myself that.
- LV

0 comments:

Post a Comment