Thursday, August 14, 2008

Writing Update

437 pages.

The end is in sight - only a few more scenes - and I feel both immensely relieved and kind of sad. The end is kind of murky in my mind. There are a few ways this could resolve itself; each has potential for a sequel, if I feel so inclined.

The second draft is going to be a huge undertaking. So much needs to be done and fixed. The basic story is there, which is a nice change from my usual incoherent writings, but it needs to be smoothed out and improved.

A weird coincidence type thing that really freaked me out: About two years ago, I jotted down some notes for a short story about a girl named Elena, and an old typewriter that spoke to another universe. I never finished it, but it's been in the back of my mind for a while. Today, while I was finishing 20th Century Ghosts, I read the last story, located in the Acknowledgements. It was about a girl named Elena, and a haunted typewriter. The story was different than the one I imagined, but still: same name [and Elena is not a common name, like Mary or John], and same basic principle. And I swear I never read this story, or even heard of it until today.

So yeah, I'm kind of freaked out by that. I don't know what it means, or indeed if it means anything, other than the fact that I'm not as creative as I like to think.

Reading Viriconium now. If I find any similarities to my current book, I may weep. You don't want that, do you?
- LV

0 comments:

Post a Comment