Thursday, December 31, 2009

Quick! Jam A Potato In The Wound!

Blog
* In some cultures, that's considered a sign of affection. Title is from Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Well, it's the end of 2009. Usually I feel the urge to do some big retrospective, but you know what? I have a sinus infection that is destroying the humor center of my brain, and when I redid this blog, I lost all my lists, because backing up files is for LOSERS.

So enough of that. Instead, this blog entry is going to be about the amazing people I know, and thank them for being a friend of this blog, and of me, and generally being made of badassery.

Along with this blog, the following links should keep you happy and amused well into 2012 (unless the zombie apocalypse comes, but let's not dwell, shall we?).

The following are in nor order, because you cannot ORDER awesomeness. It is impossible. Believe me.

* First, a big thank you to Caro, who started World Peace Through Jackie Earle Haley, introduced me to some fantastic people, and controls the internet from her secret lair. She does. Don't piss her off.

* Stina, besides being one of the best writers I know, is also funny, smart, and has ZERO tolerance for bullshit. And she makes statements like this:
I can’t stand smelly people. BATHE. You are in PUBLIC. Other people ARE FORCED TO SMELL YOU.
Her blog, Naps In The Library, has stories that are frightening, interesting, clever, funny, and violent. These are all superb things.

* One of the best parts of this year is the group of sickeningly talented artists I've met. Coaster is one of them, and she DREW ME A PREZZENT, which I will be keeping hidden until my birthday, when I will reveal the awesome. In the meantime, here is gender-bending awesome:


Silver Surfer and Girlactus by ~coasterchild on deviantART

* When I grow up, I want to be half as cool/talented/secksi as Millarca. Mermaid Left as Ligan is a fun blog that features knitting, DALEKS, Janis Joplin, nakedness, AND FLUFFY PINK HATS:

YES, THAT IS A T-REX ON IT.

* Megan, one of the girls from World Peace Through Jackie Earle Haley, keeps a blog (The Void Breathed Hard On My Heart, Turning Its Illusions To Ice, Shattering Them) that has David Tennant being SEX ON LEGS, and Alan Tudyk mocking Firefly, and Robert Downey, Jr., so maybe if we all harass her she'll blog more often. Plus she is the Keeper Of Actor Music. She knows what I mean.

* You wish you knew Miss Banshee. You totally do, because she is smart, funny as HELL, and could destroy you all with a cutting, well-timed insult in between blogging for Mama!Pop and ruling over her kitties with an iron fist. Head on over to Inverse Candlelight, and behold her powers.

* Dances With Elvis is almost disgustingly talented, and you can see her art linked from her blog, Something Wicked This Way Comes (which is also incredibly entertaining). Additionally she is wicked-clever, a science geek, and could probably kill us all if she was so inclined. Luckily, she won't be so inclined, as long as we keep the caffeine flowing. Go check out her art, and behold her skillz:


Great Wyrm Head by ~DanceswithElvis on deviantART
I want a pet dragon. And she designs it. That's the plan.

* I've known Laroux (The Madness of Princess Larissa) for years, since I was in high school. I can honestly say she's one of my best friends, and an amazing person, and also she knows the ins and outs of fangirling, and she is the Music Genius of the Universe. This is not an exaggeration. She knows everything about music, ever. Also she is incredibly kind, smart, and talented. Unless you fuck with her. Then she will destroy you, and everything you hold dear, probably with the help of the Winchesters and Petrellis.

* I haven't known Brooklynne very long, but luckily my abilities to discern badassery have sharpened to a fine point over the years, and anyway she has so much badassery that even dead people can notice it. You can buy her hand-dyed yarn over at Grrrl Shaped Yarns (I did, and I am squeeing with excitement until they come, at which point I will probably faint/die with happy. If that happens, bury me with the yarn). You can also read about her at her blog, My Mind's A Stage, which is essentially pages of epic win and knitting love.

* Julie doesn't have a blog, because she has no time for technology because she is making art like this:


THAT IS IANTO JONES AND HE IS BRINGING ME COFFEE.

* Spazzy Yarn, another person who manages to be unspeakably awesome AND make pretty things, makes gorgeous yarn, and I ordered some, and it came with LAVENDER, and I almost don't want to knit anything with the yarn because it is so freaking gorgeous. Seriously, I could just hug it and be happy. This is not weird at all. Her site is closed for now, but check back often so you can get some of this yarn, because really, ANGELS would snuggle this shit.

* Do you make music? You probably don't make music like Ge Oh, who is an audio engineer, a songwriter, an editor, a designer, a producer, a writer, AND a fantastic human being. Also he's a super hero, but I'm not supposed to know that.

* My good friend and fellow zombie-fighter Dark Raven Kiki made me this for Christmas:


Merry Christmas Elle by ~darkravenkiki on deviantART
DUDE. Do you need any other reason to check out her work? DO YOU? Because I don't. ALSO SHE INCLUDED MY ZOMBIELAND HAT.

A) The benevolent ruler of Iantoland
B) Possessor of some glorious tattoos
C) She wrote an intelligent, reasoned analysis of Children of the Earth (as opposed to my own screaming/crying/banging my head against the keyboard response, and NO I STILL HAVEN'T WATCHED IT AGAIN, I AM UNDER A LOT OF STRESS IN MY LIFE).
D) She is straight edge, which I have so much admiration and respect for.
E) She is a comic geek extraordinaire
F) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

* Crooked Fang is one of two vampires (Stina's being the first) on this list. He likes pie, blood margaritas, and loud music. If I put him on this list, maybe I will get to live, yes?

* Karma makes the videos that keep me up at night watching them, when I SHOULD be sleeping. Yes, that is my excuse for insomnia. Also she is a BAMF, and has no time for your bullshit.

* Every time I see this picture by Sullen Skrewt, I am made happy in a sick sort of way. Because the Joker is sick love, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise:


Joker abstract by *sullen-skrewt on deviantART
She also sent me a gorgeous Freddy picture for the holidays, because she is AWESOME SAUCE.

* Atchicory's blog, Odds and Ends makes me want to read more, which I would, if I had TIME. In 2010, I need more time. That's my demand. MAKE THIS HAPPEN. Anyway, she also likes Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, which is the main reason I hold out hope for Jhonen Vasquez.

* Lindragon as another artist who draws Rorschach, and this is Victorian Rorschach, and I need to go to my bunk now:


Victorian Rorschach by *Aiwe on deviantART

Meanwhile, I can't draw a damn STICK FIGURE. Luckily she's around to draw pretty pictures and I can stare at them, so everybody wins!

* Metalouise, high priestess of the coven of Knittiness, and also just a cool chick, makes socks like nobody's business, and is a bastion of wonderful. She needs to update her blog, Grammar Fetish, so I can see her brilliance more frequently.

* Are you listening to Fat Man After Dark's podcast and checking out his website? Why the fuck not? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? Also he talks about sports, which I don't understand really (LIE. I understand baseball completely, I just don't know much about football) and he appreciates Classic Doctor Who.

* Escape Into Life is the only online arts journal you need to be reading. It's beautiful and comprehensive, and much more intelligent then my own art analysis, which is usually, 'pretty!'

* SilentKW's drawings are so intricate, most of the time they seem like photographs:


That Inglourious Basterd by =SilentKW on deviantART
Now she needs to draw me Ianto and Rorschach arguing over coffee. WHY DO I HAVE THESE THOUGHTS?

* Without a doubt, Irish's blog (Ticket To Anywhere) is the only book blog you need to read. She knows her SHIT. She also has magic powers that allow her to know about every book contest on the interwebz. I fear her.

* Adrian's photographs take my breath away:


Moments Like This by =DownedSystem on deviantART
And she offered the funniest commentary on The End Is Nigh video game ever.

* Theresa knows more about comics than I ever will (Redheads Do It In Elevator Shafts), and also is so so remarkably kind and sweet, and she knows the hidden underbelly of the internet, and SHE MADE ME A SCARF. So I win by proxy.

* Dan Faust is a BAMF, even if he sneers on the new Sherlock Holmes movie (but I may have had a spontaneous orgasm at the concept of Jeremy Irons as Holmes and David Thewlis as Watson, NOT THAT I ADMIT ANYTHING), and his blog (Faust's Fantastically Fantasmagoric Forum) is endlessly delightful. Also he draws ZOMBIE MONKEYS IN FEDORAS:


* Dear Erin: UPDATE YOUR BLOG. I love your drawings, and I want a Daily Doodle of Crow T. Robot, STAT. You are awesome. Also, we need to stop the violence against fireflies.
Love, LV

* Kaisha, you are made of badassery and win, (and she gave me caffeinated SOAP, which is like something sent down from heaven), and you liked my hat, so I am happy. So read her blog.

If I forgot you, I didn't mean it, and I suck. But how lucky am I to know such talented, glorious people?

It's been a hell of a year for FEAR AND LOATHING, with over 104,000 hits. That's pretty impressive, considering I write this by myself, before breakfast, while ingesting large quantities of coffee. Next year, let's aim for 200,000. I want to thank you all for your support, and I promise to blog every day of 2010 (with obvious holiday exceptions, or if I get hit by a bus).

I've got some big plans for the blog (maybe even my own website? DARE I DREAM?). And I thank you guys for your support, suggestions, and endless patience with my capslocks abuse.

2009 was a great and terrible year. Let's hope 2010 is made purely of win.

Wishing you the best (unless you suck, in which case I laugh at you and make snide comments about your shoes),
- LV

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive