Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Writing Life Update

I know my career stories aren't nearly as fascinating as my endless pontificating about pop culture, but maybe someone out there can help me on the path to fame and fortune.

* I am having a book review published, but I'm not getting paid. So plus one for experience, but negative one for lack of funds.

* I've been trying to perk up my angsty teen poetry I wrote back in the days before antidepressants and when I had blue hair. But it's really, inexcusably bad. A few are salvageable, but most of it should be thrown onto the eternal bonfire and offered up to the Bad Writing Gods as penance for my sins.

* I'm giving two incredibly shitty novels another go, and starting a third. One redeeming quality of the third novel: ZOMBIES. 

* I'm going to try to sell my thesis as a book to a literary agent. It's depressing and very nichey, but anyone who takes a media studies class might find use for it. Of course, I'd have to expand it significantly to include about fifteen or twenty more movies, but I don't want to spend all that time and energy if nobody is even going to humor my obsessive behavior. NOTE: If you don't know what I'm talking about in reference to the thesis, ask and I shall explain.

* I'm trying to write comic book scripts, a la HARVEY PEKAR and the genius of AMERICAN SPLENDOR. His stick figures are better than mine. As is the story. But my memories of high school and college make for surreal reading - and they would be funny if drawn well. Now I just need to find an artist...

* In other news, IE the real world, I have a job interview tomorrow as a hostess. Spent an inordinate amount of time today bawling over my writer's block, which is officially out of control. 

I want to start calling up authors I admire and asking the much-maligned question: Where Do You Get Your Ideas? Because I need inspiration. 

Writing vaguely emo pieces about the guy who didn't like me when I was 15 or the threesome I witnessed when I was 16 is not how I want to be remembered as a writer. Although at this point, even having people DESPISING my work would be preferable. At least then I'd know people are reading it.

Someone should just pay me to blog. But yeah, if Warren Ellis, Amy Sedaris, Joss Whedon, Neil Gaiman, J.K. Rowling, Hunter S. Thompson, Sir Arthr Conan Doyle, Jon Stewart, Joan Didion, Kurt Vonnegut, Russel T. Davies, or Matt Groening (or a thousand other people) want to call me up and tell me where they get their ideas, I'd be very very grateful.

Or, better yet, let me rip off your ideas and call them my own! 

I wrote a really great script in middle school that was essentially FROM DUSK TILL DAWN without vampires, and a female character. 

That's all for now. If my head explodes from a lack of ideas [or would implodes be more realistic?] I'll let you know. 
- LV

0 comments:

Post a Comment