Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What The FUCK Is Wrong With The Oscars?!

I can't even deal with the Oscars right now. But let's all stand in silence and briefly remember the movies that were either under-appreciated or totally ignored.

Movies That Were Shafted By The Oscars
* Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street - NO BEST DIRECTOR. WHAT THE FUCK? And Depp won't win. If he didn't win for fucking FINDING NEVERLAND which was as feel-good as he gets, he ain't winning for a flick about a crazy barber. Although if he does, I'll be happy for roughly two whole months. And imminently smug.

* Zodiac - One of the scariest movies I've ever seen, with a brilliant performance by Robert Downey Jr, and wonderful direction. And it got SHIT. OK? TRANSFORMERS got more nominations. Pause and ponder.

* The Bourne Ultimatum - Paul Greengrass should have won best director for UNITED 93, and I'd just like SOMEONE out there to acknowledge that a great action trilogy exists, and that none of its parts sucks. I'm not asking for Best Picture - it wasn't. Just, I don't know, some technical awards. SOMETHING?

* Enchanted - Amy Adams, MAN! She was amazing. And I didn't even hate that dude from GREY'S ANATOMY.

* The Simpsons Movie - I mean, SURF'S UP got nominated? NORBIT got a nomination?! GOLDEN COMPASS?! WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!

* Walk Hard The Dewey Cox Story - OK, I just wish they would have nominated one of his songs. The performance alone would have been worth it.

* Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix - Visual effects, anyone? ANYONE?

* 3:10 To Yuma - Best Western since BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. And that got awards! Big awards!

* Knocked Up - Just original screenplay. I think that's fair. I'm still annoyed THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN didn't get any nominations. Steve Carell was so good... moving on.

* Hot Fuzz - Because it was funny and awesome. That's why.

* Rescue Dawn - Steve Zahn was royally fucked for best supporting. I mean, royally. And Christian Bale made two great movies this year, and got JACK.

* Waitress - This one really upsets me. It was so beautiful and real and funny and sad. And the director will never make another movie. This one should have gotten some appreciation.

* A Mighty Heart - Angelina Jolie should win. End of story. Thank you. That is all.

EDIT: I am very freaked that as soon as I mentioned BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, the news came on that Heath Ledger had died. This happens to me a lot. But seriously, this is a really sad thing. He was young and a father and incredibly talented. And he didn't live that far from me. I'm not trying to co-opt his family's pain, or make this a tabloid thing. But someone I admired died, and for what it's worth I convey my deepest sympathies to his family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment