Friday, February 1, 2008

It Was A Dark And Stormy Day...

I love cold, rainy days. I think they're very peaceful. They make me feel contemplative and serene.

Of course, I'd feel a lot better if my stomach wasn't hurting me so much. It feels like there's a tiny, angry man in my stomach with a pitchfork. Maybe eating cold cans of soup and little else isn't the wisest way to live. But it is cheap. And cheap beats out smart right now.

I submitted a poem to an online magazine the other day. It got rejected. I'm not surprised - it wasn't one of my better poems. But I liked it, and I'm a little disappointed. Poems don't make much money anyway. But still, being published is being published, right? And being rejected is being rejected.

I want a literary agent. Except I can't finish a single story, so I have nothing to offer anyone. It's aggravating - my story ideas are too dense for short stories, but I run out of ideas halfway through, so I end up with like thirty pages. Maybe they could be long short stories. I need a writing group, or a writing teacher, even though I am of the mentality that you can't learn to be a good writer.

But I digress. I have some E-Mails to write that might result in jobs, and then I'm working on the zombie story. Here are some of the projects I'm working on. Comments, suggestions, and open mockery are welcome.

* Zombie story, post-apocalyptic.
* Chick-lit, about writers and father/daughter relationships.
* High school presidential election with a sinister twist (short story).
* Author bargains with the devil.
* Death as a super-hero.
* Crime story I've been writing on and off since I was like, 13. 

None of its very good, but I'm still having trouble thinking up good ideas. Inspiration is standing a block away, mocking me and dancing just out of reach, promising glory and then throwing scraps in my direction.

Maudlin enough for you?

I want NEIL GAIMAN's career. He's had it for a long time - it's time to share, damn it. Incidentally, his blog is great. Very entertaining. I hope that reading the work of those I admire will inspire me. Or something.

So. I have a hot cup of coffee, bad daytime TV playing quietly in the background, and it's time to get to work. Hope everyone has a good day.
- LV

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive