Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day - 7:00 A.M.

My alarm didn't go off, so we're running a bit behind schedule here at Election Headquarters (AKA my home).

The polls opened about fifty minutes ago, and according to CNN, the first town to vote in the Election went to Obama in a landslide. I am not comforted.

To reiterate my plan for the day: I will update this blog ever hour, on the hour, until the new President is announced. I will read news blogs, gossip blogs, and news sites. I will post news stories, fun links, and rants. I will also, obviously, watch TV. To be fair, or at least get varied opinions, I will switch news channels every hour. I will be watching CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, and FOX (and that last one makes me wince, even as I try to be an Objective Journalist, something the great Hunter S. Thompson called an impossibility, or at least an oxymoron).

I will also record my own voting experience. This will be my second Presidential election, and the first time I've voted in person (as opposed to the irritation of an absentee ballot).

This is a big day, and despite what all the pundits have been saying about Obama's win, I'm nervous. This feels vital, critical, epic. I'm also wondering if I should make a supply run at some point between posts. I need cigarettes, Tab, Fresca, and possibly large quantities of alcohol. I wonder if there are any election drinking games.

Last bit of house-cleaning, as my old teacher liked to say: I decided to just do a new blog entry for each hour, rather than one big honking long one with an hourly edit, because A) that would be an ungainly and frankly terrifying blog entry, and B) I think these look nicer.

It's The Big Day. I'm one post behind, so I'll do a half-hour update to make up for it. Comment with your own election stories, or laugh as I sink slowly (quickly) into madness from this exercise.
- LV

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive