Thursday, January 14, 2010

TERRORTACULAR

Note: For those of you following me on Twitter, I present the SUPER AWESOME SURPRISE OF THE WEEK:

Writer Stina, horror goddess, techno-wizard, finder of the awesome and the terrifying (and doler out of both) (Doler is now a word. Pass it on) is FEAR AND LOATHING'S first ever guest blogger. If you aren't reading Naps in the Library, you will not be spared when she becomes our overlord. So, I turn over the reins to Stina. Enjoy, and bow before her awe-inspiring awesome.

Words of Win
I decided to try the whole "Google, how about you go ahead and tell me what I'm searching for" thing, and came up with the most frightening thing in existence. Call me a horror writer if you like, but I've never been able to top something this terrifying.


Google knows fear. Do not doubt the Google.

Ad!Win
Technically, this isn't a real ad, but if it was, I would buy this 300 CD set.




I am the master of segues. Fear my mad segue skillz.

Inspiration!

David Wong is actually Jason Pargin of Illinois who, way back in the day, posted a little horror story on his blog for Halloween. The piece was a hit, and after receiving a large number of emails asking when the next installment would be, Pargin decided to keep writing.

This turned into a novel that was published by Permuted Press, a little publishing company that put the book out there for the world where Bubba Ho-Tep director/producer Don Coscarelli bought the film rights. It was then picked up by St. Martin's Press and re-released in
hardcover.

This right here is proof that if we have stories to tell, we can do it. Find out more about John
Dies at the End
and give it a read. It's hilarious and terrifying. Also, there's a drug called "Soy Sauce" and a dog drives a pickup truck through a trailer after David talks to a bratwurst.

Trust me on this. BUY IT NOW.

Books

You want another seriously fantastic horror series to sink your teeth into? Well, if you're familiar with comic books at all (and knowing the type of readers that are usually on this blog, I'm wagering that you are... there's a good little comic fan!), the name Mike Carey will strike a chord with you. His works include The
Sandman, Lucifer,
and Hellblazer to name a few (click here for a full list), but what Carey really impressed me with was a novel I stumbled across at a bookstore a couple of years ago and am
rediscovering now.



The lovely and talented Danielle Lavigne (who is a gorgeous human being all the way around) did a fabulous interview with Mike Carey for Octocon. This book helped me to finish my own
novel, and pumped me so full of evil ideas that I was writing like a madwoman. Well, moreso than usual. The second book in the series is just as fantastic, and I just received the third in the mail not too long ago, so I'm rereading them all.

Daily Hot Guy(s)

That's right. When Stina takes over, you get two. But, there is a price. You have to deal with my mini-rant.

VAMPIRES ARE NOT SPARKLING, MOPEY, WHINY LITTLE BITCH BOYS. THEY ARE
ALSO NOT KEANU-IN-THE-MATRIX-MEETS-WESLEY-SNIPES-IN-BLADE-MEETS-URBAN-FANTASY-FABIO-PARTING-CROWDS-OF-HUMANS-LIKE-CHARLTON-HESTON-PARTING-THE-RED-SEA-IN-THE-TEN-COMMANDMENTS.

Ahem.

So, since we've established that neither the Edward Cullen mold nor the KeanuBladeFabioHeston hell-hybrid, what exactly IS a vampire? CAN a vampire be sexy now that SparkleButt and KBFH have been eliminated?

Yes. Yes they can.

Exhibit A: The dramatic European-style vampire as played by Gerard Butler in Dracula 2000.

The man is Scottish. He has a Scottish accent. Excuse me while I go melt into a puddle.

Exhibit B: The legitimate bad-ass American vampire ready to rock your face off as played by Kiefer Sutherland in The Lost Boys.

I will totally eat Chinese food with you, lil' Kief.

I would like to draw attention to the fact that both of these vampires have FANGS, since VAMPIRES are SUPPOSED to have POINTY TEETH. SEE MY EXHIBITS C AND D WHILE I CONTINUE TO ABUSE THE CAPS LOCK.


Dracula has chompers!


Even Kief has teef! Er... teeth.

That's enough insanity for one day. If you enjoy my madness, pleasefeel free to visit me at the woefully-neglected-for-the-past-two-weeks Naps in the Library, and check out Monsters Under the Bed for random spurts of horror.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive