Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I Got Stabbed! Right Here!

Blog
* Today's title comes from Firefly, which won my survey by a LANDSLIDE, and is the best show to be cancelled ever, except for Arrested Development, of course, but that's DIFFERENT.

Firefly
* Well, according to my survey, and common sense, and God, everyone misses Firefly like burning. And who doesn't? WHO, I ASK YOU? Anyway, the movie only made me want MORE (and also to ask Mr. Whedon why everyone I love in his universe DIES HORRIBLY. IT STARTED WITH DOYLE AND NEVER STOPPED. DUDE), and I sort of agree the Firefly was the best series Whedon did. OK, that's a lie. I think Angel starting in season three or four was the best, or at least had the best episodes ("Smile Time" alone should have won the Nobel Peace Prize for AWESOME). It went insane, but the acting was brilliant, and Alexis Denisoff was a revelation as Wesley, who I HATED for YEARS because he replaced Doyle, and I honestly prefer Angel to Buffy, which makes me a freak. But I digress. And apparently, those of you who don't love Dollhouse better start right now, because its success could mean good things for the future of Firefly. And all those FOX execs wouldn't have to lock their doors against angry, vengeful Browncoats anymore. I'm lying again - they totally would. Or if you're really against Dollhouse, for whatever reason, you could just buy a ton of boxed sets of Firefly. You can always use a few more.

Survey Results
Here's MY list of the Best Joss Whedon Shows:
1. Angel
2. Firefly
3. Buffy: The Vampire Slayer
4. Dollhouse

Here's yours:
1. Firefly (57%)
2. Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (40%)
3. Angel: The Series (17%)
4. Dollhouse (4%)

Obviously, we have some issues to work out. I'm not surprised Firefly won. I do believe it's overall the most solid of Whedon's shows. Maybe because it was short. But it was consistently wonderful. And the universe he built was fascinating. GOD DAMN IT, FOX, I MISS THE SHINY.

Vampires
* Totally unrelated to anything at all, I started watching True Blood last night, and DAMN that is a naked show. Everyone is naked all the time. But I enjoy it. No fucking sparkly bullshit there, no siree bob. But this makes me nervous about my own vampire book, which is nothing like any of these but how much vampire can people handle? And could my book EVER even COMPARE to such goodness that is out there? I am full of insecurity and self-doubt. Anyway, here's an article about a 400 year-old 'real' vampire skull, even though everyone knows vampires turn to dust when you stake them, so this poor woman was suspected of being a vampire because she liked her steaks rare and was probably the first ever goth.

[Found at Bloodcopy]

TeeVee
* This is why FOX is evil. EVIL.

[Found at io9]

Hunter S. Thompson
* WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK:

[Found at BoingBoing & sent to me by lovely readers]
THIS IS A FEAR AND LOATHING BOARD GAME. HAVE YOU SEEN THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG? THIS SHOULD BE MINE. I DO NOT CARE WHAT THE HELL THE GAME IS, OR HOW IT IS PLAYED. I NEED THIS GAME FOREVER. I DESERVE THIS GAME. BUT IT IS EXPENSIVE AND I DO NOT HAVE IT. SOMEONE NEEDS TO GET ME THIS NOW. I WANT TO RUN AROUND WITH A SUITCASE FULL OF FAKE DRUGS IN THE BACK OF MY HONDA CIVIC AND SCREAM AT MY FRIENDS, 'WE CAN'T STOP HERE - THIS IS BAT COUNTRY!' AND SPEED THROUGH THE BACK ROADS OF NEW JERSEY UNTIL MY FRIENDS VOMIT ON THE CARS OF OTHERS AND WE GIVE THE DRUGS TO STREISAND FANS AND TRASH HOTEL ROOMS, AND WHEN THE COPS COME, I WILL SIMPLY SAY, 'But sir, now it's my friend's turn!' AND WE WILL ESCAPE. I AM INSANE WITH THIS NOT BEING MINE.

Science Fiction - New Category!
* I need to organize my categories. I have too many, and some go away and never come back, while others are regular staples in our blogging lives. I will do that when I have TIME and ENERGY and THE WILL TO LIVE. Anyway, June will be a good month for those of you who don't have the LSATs. There will be Eureka and Pushing Daisies and book signings and conventions and DVD releases and movies, and comics. Always, comics. Click here for io9's exhaustive list of the fun the rest of you can be having this month, while I study. It helps if you live in California, which I do not. And never will.

Furniture
* I really, really want this couch:

[Found at NubbyTwiglets]
Is it a couch? Or more of a loveseat? What's the difference? Who decides what qualifies as a couch? I don't know. Nor do I care that I have no money for such a thing, nor anywhere to put such a marvelous object. I could strap it to the top of my car, I suppose. That would make a terrifying study experience.

Cars
* These stickers are funny:

[Found at IncredibleThings]
Unfortunately, I suck at parking sometimes, and would end up using most of the stickers on myself. This might increase the humor factor for people around me, but would ultimately crush my spirits and self esteem. I'm not good at parking. I'M SORRY. I just can't parallel park very well. I can park in spots like the ones in the sticker, but parallel spots suck. I fail at life, don't I?

Politics
* Is anyone else really uncomfortable with GQ's attempt to make Levi Johnston sexy and rugged?

[Found at TheWorldsBestEver]
I just... I do not understand. He had sex. Not to be too graphic, but he had sex. THAT is why we know his name. He had sex, and the girl got pregnant. That is the end of his story. There is no reason whatsoever to do a spread on him in a major magazine. I do not want him to become some sort of sex symbol, or icon, or anything. I also do not know why he needs to be shirtless to change his child's diaper. The only bright spot in this whole situation is that Levi's very existence seems to irk Sarah Palin to no end, and mayhap one day she will arrive at his house with reporters and eat him, then go on Larry King to explain that it's the liberal bias, praise Jeebus.

Apocalypse How? - New Category!
* For the record, the title of this category almost certainly has assured me a place in hell. I am aware. This category will be about the possible ways the world could end, or we'll all die, or anything that seems to predict the End of Days, like Spencer and Heidi's existence, or the fact that I know who they are.
But, for today, instead of inexplicable celebrities, we have a mutant bacteria bio-fabric that will poop out spandex and then eat your face, and our heroes will be naked men and women with big guns, and really, anything that makes MORE spandex in the world is probably evil, right?

Daily Hot Guy

[Rorschach, AKA Walter Kovacs, AKA Don't Call Me Water, AKA Crazier Than A Snake's Armpit, having an angst-filled moment with Dan Dreiberg]

Doctor Who
* This is going to be the new Doctor's new companion:

[Found at io9]
She's cute, and I want red hair (if I cannot have blonde hair, which I am FIXATED on right now. I blame Lady Gaga. For everything), but I'm getting a bit tired of the 'cute girl the Doctor will have a complicated thing for because she's not Rose' situation. That was part of the reason I loved Donna. There was love, but no real sexual tension. It was nice. And maybe I'm still hoping for the return of Turlough, who I had a wicked crush on as a youth (he was the Fifth Doctor's companion for a bit, and had a really fascinating story-line) and I keep hoping that his son or something will show up, which is random, I know, but at least it would be INTERESTING, yes?

Time for work. Updates later. What should the next survey be about? Commenting HELPS, people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive