Friday, April 24, 2009

Alan Moore Can Solve A Rubik's Cube In One Move.

Watchmen Quotes: Rorschach Quotes
Note: IT HAS BEGUN. This is only part one, my friends, because Rorschach is the pinnacle of human achievement, and all of society and evolution exists only so he could be wrought from the pen of Alan Moore. Wouldn't it be funny if that were true? If God, if there was such a being, was all, 'Cool. Rorschach exists, I can read about his adventures... What? NOOOOOOOOOOO WHY RORSCHACH WHY?! That's it. Smiting the SHIT out of this species.' Or maybe not. I don't need to go into a real note about Rorschach, do I? I love him. I think he's flawed and complex and endlessly fascinating, and his morals are admirable while his actions and opinions usually aren't. I got a tattoo of his symbol, to remind myself to stand up for what I believe in and not to be afraid or apologize for who I am. Somewhere in England, Alan Moore is plotting my grisly and extremely slow death.

Comic
* None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.

* This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.

* You know what I wish? I wish all the scum of the Earth had one throat and I had my hands about it.

* Soon there will be war. Millions will burn. Millions will perish in sickness and misery. Why does one death matter against so many? Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this. But there are so many deserving of retribution ... and there is so little time.

* Bernie: I see the world didn't end yesterday.
Kovacs: Are you sure?

* You keep calling me Walter. I don't like you.

* Give me smallest finger on man's hand. I'll produce information. Computer unnecessary.

* Shock of impact ran along my arm. Jet of warmth spattered on chest, like hot faucet. It was Kovacs who said "Mother" then, muffled under latex. It was Kovacs who closed his eyes. It was Rorschach who opened them again.

* Gun. No license. I checked. Very bad.

* Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture.

* Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night. Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world. Was Rorschach. Does that answer your questions, Doctor?

* By the way, you need a stronger lock. That new one broke after one shove.

* No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.

* The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No." They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good men like my father or President Truman. Decent men who believed in a day's work for a day's pay. Instead they followed the droppings of lechers and communists and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice. Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloodly Hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers... and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say.

* Dan: Maybe this was a political killing?
Rorschach: Maybe. Or maybe someone's picking off costumed heroes.
Dan: Um. Don't you think that's maybe a little paranoid?
Rorschach: That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?

* Rorschach: Used to come here often, back when we were partners.
Dan: Oh. Uh, yeah... yeah, those were great times, Rorschach. Great times. Whatever happened to them?
Rorschach: You quit.

* Happy Harry the Bartender: Ruh. Ror. Ror. Rorschach! Har Har How are ya doin', fella?
Rorschach: I'm fine, Happy Harry. Yourself?
Happy Harry: Fine! I'm fuh, I'm fine! And I'm, and I'm, and I'm glad you're fine too! And uh, and uh... Oh God. Please don't kill anybody.

* He stood up for his country, Veidt. Never let anyone retire him. Never cashed in on his reputation. Never set up a company selling posters and diet books and toy soldiers based on himself. Never became a prostitute. If that makes him a Nazi, you might as well call me a Nazi, too.

* Dr. Long: Hello, Rorschach. How are you today?
Rorschach: In prison. Yourself?

* Other people, down in cells. Behavior more extreme than mine. You don't spend any time with them...but then, they're not famous. Won't get your name in the journals. You don't want to make me well. Just want to know what makes me sick. You'll find out. Have patience, Doctor. You'll find out.

* Visited underworld bars and began hurting people. Put fourteen in hospital needlessly. Fifteenth gave me an address.

* Dog. Dog with head split in half.
Dr. Long: And, uh. What do you think split the dog's head. In half.
Rorschach: I did.

* Larry: We got a jail full of guys out here who hate your guts. What in hell do you got?
Rorschach: Your hands. My perspective. Note: This line change in the movie bothered me more than any else, and I do not know why.

*Big Figure: We'ere gonna cut through there and then that bastard's gonna find out what the Score is!
Rorschach: One-nothing. Your move. Come and get me.

* Rorschach: There. Did what had to be done. Can leave now.
Laurie: Really? Are you sure? We don't want to get too reckless and go diving headfirst into things!
Rorschach: Hurm. Good advice. Sure there are many who would agree with you.

* Rorschach: Gloves. Hat. Shoes. There, think that's everything we-
Mrs. Shairp: Oh God! I- it's... oh God, what are you doing here? I... look, please, I don't want any trouble, okay? I...
Rorschach: Mrs. Shairp. Long time no see. Told press I'd made sexual advances to you. Not true. Very bad.
Mrs. Shairp: No! I never said that! I got misquoted! Oh God, please don't...
Nite-Owl: Rorschach? Come on, man... leave it.
Rorschach: Can't. Slur on reputation. Serious business. How much did they pay you to lie about me, whore?
Mrs. Shairp: Oh please, don't say that. Not in front of my kids... please. They... they don't know.
Rorschach: Got what we came for. Finished here now. Let's go. Note: One of two scenes it was inexcusable to cut from the film, even though I understand the decision logistically. Every fan seems to find this a true sin against the comic.

* Doctor Manhattan: Where are you going?
Rorschach: Back to owlship. Back to America. Evil must be punished. People must be told.
Doctor Manhattan: Rorshach... you know I can't let you do that.
Rorschach: Huhhh... of course. Must protect Veidt's new utopia. One more body amongst foundations makes little difference. Well? What are you waiting for? Do it.
Doctor Manhattan: Rorshach...
Rorschach: Do it!

* Beneath me, this awful city, it screams like an abattoir full of retarded children. New York. Somebody knows why. Down there... somebody knows. The dusk reeks of fornication and bad consciences. I believe I shall take my exercise.

* 42nd Street: Women's breasts draped across every billboard, every display, littering the sidewalk. Was offered Swedish love and French love, but not American love. American love; like Coke in green glass bottles, they don't make it anymore.

* Meeting with Veidt left bad taste in mouth. He is pampered and decadent, betraying even his own shallow, liberal affectations. Possibly homosexual? Must remember to investigate further.

* Paid last respects quietly, without fuss. Edward Morgan Blake. Born 1924, forty-five years a Comedian, died 1985, buried in the rain. Is that what happens to us? A life of conflict with no time for friends… so that when it's done, only our enemies leave roses.

* Away down alley, heard woman scream, first bubbling note of city's evening chorus. Approached disturbance. Attempted rape/mugging/both. Cleared throat. The man turned and there was something rewarding in his eyes. Sometimes, the night is generous to me.

* Waiting for a flash of enlightenment in all this blood and thunder. Note: Favorite line.

* If reading this now, whether I am alive or dead, you will know truth. Whatever precise nature of this conspiracy, Adrian Veidt responsible. Have done best to make this legible. Believe it paints disturbing picture. Appreciate your recent support and hope world survives long enough for this to reach you, but tanks are in East Berlin, and writing is on wall.

* For my own part, regret nothing. Have lived life, free from compromise ... and step into the shadow now without complaint.

Movie
* Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. That's always been the difference between us, Dan.

* Give me back my face!

* Men go to jail. Dogs get put down. Note: Rorschach was bitten as a child.

* You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do.

* We were meant to exact justice! Everyone's gonna know what you've done...

* Keep your own secrets...

* Rorschach: Out of my way. People have to be told.
Jon Osterman: You know I can't let you do that.
Rorschach: Suddenly you discover humanity. Convenient. If you'd cared from the start, none of this would've happened.
Jon Osterman: I can change almost anything... but I can't change human nature.
Rorschach: Of course, you must protect Veidt's new Utopia. One more body amongst foundations makes little difference. Well, what are you waiting for? Do it... DO IT! Note: Makes me cry, in both versions. IT'S ALL JON AND VEIDT'S FAULT.

Detective Fine: This is the police, we know you're in there.
Rorschach: No! No!
Detective Fine: If there's anybody in there with you, send 'em out unharmed.
Rorschach: No! No, no, no, no!
Detective Fine: Come out and make this a nice, clean surrender.
Rorschach: Walked right into it! Stupid, stupid, stupid! Never surrender.
Detective Fine: Alright, I hope you're ready, hero.
Rorschach: When you are.

* Larry: Hey, Boss, you notice? None of that "small world, tall order" crap, cause he knows once we slice open his lock, he's next on the block.
Rorschach: Fat chance.

* Rorschach: I don't like you.
Malcolm Long: Well, why is that?
Rorschach: Because you're fat.

* Rorschach: Your turn doctor! Tell me! What do you see?

Rorschach quotes are a sign that Alan Moore loves us and wants us to be happy, or at least tolerates our existence in his universe. Which I appreciate. Here are a few images. The next Rorschach post will be ALL images. A RORGY of images. I am sick. I know this.

I made none of these, and if you want credit tell me, and I will give you credit for your genius.














Note: Posting this image has doomed me to Hell. I am so sorry. What was I think? FORGIVE ME, WALTER.







Photobucket



Do you SEE why I need more than one day? That's not even HALF of what I have. Not. Even. Half. He is wondrous. OK. Tomorrow will be Laurie and the Minutemen, because Laurie is my least favorite (except for Veidt, because while she is not nice to Rorschach at all, at least she doesn't ORGANIZE THE WORST WEEK OF HIS LIFE) (she is probably one of my least favorites because she is one of the saner characters, and therefore not as fun) and the Minutemen are fun because they are totally as screwed up as the next generation of masked avengers.

So yeah. Also, for people who care, so far my Comedian Post has had the most hits, and Veidt had the fewest, because he kills everything I love. I really thought Nite Owl II would have the most so far, but what do I know. So Rorschach fans, you really need to up the ante. Are we going to let a cigar-smoking rapist oust our favorite vigilante?! I think not.
- LV

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive